07 August 2018. Gymnastics Leader Course Facilitators were trained in line with the scheduled GL Courses on newly revised content. Total of 54 facilitators / co facilitators were trained and or supported and up-skilled in March and April from Eastern Cape, Western Cape, KZN, Gauteng, Mpumalanga, North West and Limpopo provinces.
The last GL Facilitators Training Course took place from the 28th – 29th July 2018 in Kroonstad, at one of the Development Hubs of Free State.
Marti Heri (SAGF Development Manager) and Lead Facilitator worked with Cornel van der Westhuizen (Provincial Education and Training Lead Person) and Hub Leader to set up criterias and categories for GL Facilitators as follows:
- Minimum qualification FIG Foundation Course or FIG Level 1
- SAGF Facilitator Training Course or a minimum of 4 years’ experience in conducting workshops
- Active involvement and leadership role in the province / district as a coach or schools program coordinator
10 Facilitators in training participants were then identified in consultation of the provincial associations.
- Free State: 4 Participants (as hosting province) and 1 assistant
- Northern Cape: 4 Participants
- North West: 2 Participants
There were 28 candidates attending the GL Coaches Training from Free State, from different districts of the province. The Provincial Department of Education and District DoE and DSR assisted to identify and transport their candidates, the majority of participants represented schools or school projects. Most of the teachers had no gymnastics or a little experience and background, which made participation challenging for them at times. With the active mentoring role of the 11 facilitators in training (6 of them from our current Hub structures) it was managed to give the group of teacher’s extra support. It became evident again that people with no gymnastics background must first complete the new Fundamental Movement Workshop as a pre-requisite before enrolling to attend a GL Training.
The facilitators in training each were given a minimum of 1 session to plan and deliver, which gave the course participants a wide variety of activities and delivery styles and provided a good opportunity for the facilitators in training to gain experience and feed-back. The well planned and facilitated practical sessions were well received by all participants. The new GL CD’s prove very useful reference tools for the participants to remember the practical content to remind them of all the activities and many more for exercises for the implementation of a beginner gymnastics program.
Despite the big number of enrolment and the medium size of the venue, with good team work it was managed to plan to accommodate all candidates. The course program was adapted to suit the restricted time available, as participants and facilitators had to travel 3-4 hours to get home on Sunday. All candidates (including the facilitators in training) had many opportunities to experience the different movements and activities in a supportive and interactive learning environment.
Four facilitators in training had already have experience in facilitating courses / workshops, which made it possible to delegate the different modules equally between the group. Each facilitator was given less experienced facilitators to assist with the managing of stations and organising the groups.
Watch: Participants in action
The new GL power point presentations and New GL Manual and handout documents makes learning more efficient for people with no English home language. It saves time for practical experience vs. presentation of theory content on course time.
Many thanks to:
- SRSA for Funding to make this project possible
- All the new GL facilitators and co-facilitators for their tireless effort to plan their session and for their positive energy level and enthusiasm to deliver the additional content
- All facilitators in training for their well-planned sessions, positive input and feed-back and assisting others
- Free State Gymnastics and in particular, Kroonstad Gymnastics Hub for making all the logistical and administrative arrangements and providing their venue
- Cornel van der Westhuisen for the administrative support in pulling all the enrolments, accommodation, food and other arrangements together and for hosting the event
Click following link to be directed to this event gallery: GL Facilitators Training | Kroonstad Gymnastics Hub