10 February 2015. Gymnastics is a very broad and specialized sport, with the national body governing 9 gymnastic disciplines in the country. The South African Gymnastics Federation saw the need to provide a Young Leaders Conference which would impart the necessary tools and skills to empower and develop the youth of the federation. This was particularly for those who are already active within the federation and have the potential to be future leaders.
Two conferences were held for convenience purposes, one in Cape Town at the Alphen Centre on 31 Jan 01 Feb 2015 and another in Johannesburg at SASCOC House, 7-8 February 2015. The conference targeted participants between the ages of 20 to 40 years. to present their Gymnastics CV as part of the selection process to attend. There were 45 participants in total from 8 Provinces and all 9 disciplines.
The conference focused on 4 main areas, namely Emotional Intelligence; Leadership; Team Building, Conflict resolution and Strategizing for the future; and was facilitated by external professionals from The Coaching Company and Macsteel Maestros.
The federation was impressed with the caliber of young leaders who attended both conferences longevity and prosperity will continue in their capable hands. SAGF would also like to thank SRSA for funding towards this Capacity Building Conference.
Participant feedback was attained from the course. Some of the reactions and responses are the following below.
- “I did not know what to expect when I came here, but I’m really happy that I did. I learnt a lot of valuable information for me to take back to my Province”
- “ It gave me the tools to handle all types of situations and issues in all aspects of life”
- “The conference made me a stronger person with knowledge”
- “The conference was very beneficial to me. I did not know what to expect, but I was very pleased with the content, how it was run, and the great presenters.
- “Yes it met my expectations and was actually better than I thought it was going to be, I think due to the excellent facilitators”
- “Yes I really learnt a lot. Expectations were met over and beyond”
- “The course was very much beneficial as I learned a lot of skills and knowledge which I can also apply not only in my involvement in gymnastics but also as a person”
- “I can say they were all beneficial and I am definitely going to take all I learned forward to support SAGF Vision. My Club’s success is SAGF’s success”
- “It met my expectations and end up learning more whereby I actually knew most but didn’t know how to use or action and now this young leaders Conference boost my confidence to stand out, do more and challenge”
- “The conference was extremely beneficial and totally exceeded my expectations. Learning about how to be a better leader and how to deal better with people”
Recommendations for Future
- “Combine North & South Conferences. Maybe have a separate session where all young leaders can sit and talk and really get to know people so that when we work together it will just go that much better. Build a TEAM among us”
- “More conferences in the future”
- “Keep the conference going not only that tbut also help the young leaders to filter on the system provincial, district and national” (sic)
- “Definitively host more. Speakers were great, so please use similar quality speakers. Add goal setting for future curriculum”
- “Continue on mentoring young leaders give us space to learn, try and sometimes even fail. Future conferences should continue with further lectures on similar themes”
- “Have the same people to attend the next conference to see if this one did have an impact to their qualities”
- “Keep this conference going because it is a wonderful conference “Ground Breaking”